Geothermal Resources Council
Director of the Board
Accomplished scientist, engineer, and entrepreneur. Senior executive with over thirty-five years of experience in business management, technology, science, and engineering. Founded several international companies. Over twenty years of experience in the Russian and European geophysical and technical environments. Former Chief Geophysicist for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Coast and Geodetic Survey: won numerous professional awards for achievement and sustained superior performance. Author of over forty scientific articles and monographs. Served on numerous professional and international committees. Specialist in potential-field and electromagnetic methods, and the simultaneous inversion of multiple data sets. Research interests include the application of Bayesian statistical methods for the nonlinear inversion of geophysical data over tectonic spreading centers, hot spots, and geothermal features.
Professional Experience (Selected)
2000–Present. Founder, CEO; Dewhurst Group, LLC and predecessor companies; Germantown, MD.
- 2016: KfW, Germany/Latin America. Lead Geothermal Project Manager for KfW Geothermal Risk Mitigation Facility Latin America, a €50M grant fund set up to provide early stage funding for geothermal exploration projects across Latin America.
- 2016: Empresas Públicas de Medellín (EPM), Nereidas Valley, Colombia. Geothermal Feasibility Study. The project was partially funded by USTDA and involved the technical feasibility of constructing a geothermal power plant on their Colombian Concession2015: Servicio Geológico Colombiano. Advice for the expansion and appropriation of knowledge about the technical features of design, planning, and information gathering in thermal gradient drilling.
- 2015: Servicio Geológico Colombiano, Colombia. Advice for the expansion and appropriation of knowledge about the technical features of design, planning, and information gathering in thermal gradient drilling.
- 2015: CFE Investment Grant for the Geothermal Financing and Risk Transfer Program #ME-G1005-SN3.
- 2014: Comisión de Regulación de Energía y Gas (CREG), Bogotá, Colombia. Development of the mathematical model used to calculate the expected firm energy producible by a geothermal power plant (for future regulatory and taxation purposes within Colombia).
- 2011–2013: Nereidas Valley, Caldas, Colombia. Geothermal exploration.
- 2011: Nevado del Ruiz, Colombia. Preliminary analysis (spectral spatial analysis [SPAN] of geothermal sources within the Central Cordillera).
- 2009–Present: Warm Springs, MT. Geothermal exploration.
- 2012: Tomichi Dome, CO. Preliminary analysis of geothermal sources (spectral spatial analysis [SPAN]).
- 2012: Poncha Springs, CO. Geothermal exploration.
- 2011: Mt. Princeton, CO. Geothermal exploration.
- 2010: Pueblo of Jemez, NM. Geothermal exploration (DOE Grant with TBM Power, Inc.).
- 2009: Nevada, various locations. Geothermal exploration (six sites statewide).
1995–2000. Co-founder, Director, and Chairman, Nevanor Telekom, AS, Norway and Full Cry-Neva, JSC, St. Petersburg, Russia.
1992–1995. Director, Geophysical Technology Transfer Initiative (GTTI), St. Petersburg, Russia and Washington, D.C., US Department of Commerce, NOAA.
1975–1995. Geophysicist, Commissioned Officer, NOAA
- 1991–1995: Chief Geophysicist, NOAA Coast & Geodetic Survey.
- 1987–1990: Administrative Officer, National Geodetic Survey (NGS).
- 1982–1987: Various assignments, Research Scientist, Chief of Gravity Section (NGS).
Ph.D., Geophysics. Colorado School of Mines, Golden Colorado, 1988. Dissertation: The Simultaneous Inversion of Vector and Total Field Aeromagnetic Data Using Bayesian Inference a Case Study from the Cobb Offset of the Juan de Fuca Ridge.
MME, Mechanical Engineering (concentration on signal processing). Catholic University of America, Washington DC, 1984.
Registered Professional Engineer by Examination. Commonwealth of Virginia and Washington D.C., 1980.
BS, Geophysics. Colorado School of Mines, Golden Colorado, 1975.