Tuesday, September 19 | 4:00 pm – 5:30 pm
Infrastructure development can often be reactive and localized. Some jurisdictions tend to respond to short-term or medium-term needs and changes in demand. This is especially apparent in island economies, where such changes tend to be amplified, creating immense pressure on infrastructure and resources.
When governments instead adopt a proactive, long-term planning approach, the outcomes significantly improve. Governments can regain control by using infrastructure as a roadmap to achieve their long-term goals and vision on a national scale. A robust National Development Strategy or Plan can establish clear guidelines and set the parameters that will enable the country to develop its infrastructure in a controlled and aligned manner.
This interactive workshop will provide participants with an opportunity to discuss the benefits and challenges of creating and implementing a robust National Development Strategy or Plan. We will examine regional and international examples and case studies to identify best practices and valuable lessons learned, with a focus on enhancing National Development Planning across the Caribbean.
Topics to be addressed include:
- Governance and long-term planning: key imperatives and challenges
- Country growth vis-à-vis cities / urban infrastructure
- Sector case studies: Tourism, planning, finance, heath, social sectors, water, waste management
- Key areas for focus: capability development, financial viability, economic spinoffs, alignment with national objectives, regulations and meeting climate and SDG targets
- Role of technology and leveraging digital for better infrastructure planning, delivery and operations
Participants will include Caribbean public sector sponsors, directors of government-owned entities, P3 units, procurement managers, and controllers, as well as developers and financiers.
How to Register
The National Development Strategies Workshop will take place after the CARIF main event at the Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove on September 19 from 4:00 pm – 5:30 pm. It is an optional, additional registration item. It is complimentary for all senior Caribbean government officials who should contact us to receive a code to apply to the online registration for 2023. For all other attendees, the incremental fee to attend the workshop is $195. You will be provided with the option to register for it when you register for CARIF.