Island Resiliency Action Challenge – Wednesday, November 7
As island leaders contend with vital decisions around how to harden and make climate-vulnerable grids more resilient, consensus is often hard to achieve. Breakthrough results come from the alignment and accountability of critical stakeholders.
Against this backdrop, New Energy Events and Advanced Energy Agency will convene the Island Resiliency Action Challenge at CREF 2018 on the afternoon of Wednesday, November 7. The Challenge is co-hosted by the Caribbean Development Bank (CDB) and supported by S&C and Siemens.
Gathering island policy-makers, regulators, and utilities, along with international providers of ﬁnance and expertise, the intended outcomes of the action-oriented Island Resiliency Action Challenge are three-fold:
- Collaboratively triage regional resiliency challenges
- Identify the most critical immediate actions we must challenge ourselves to accomplish
- Leverage this action challenge into a collaborative, stakeholder engagement platform to assist other island communities and other extremely vulnerable cities
I. Defining the Critical Problem
Our four panelists will have five slides and eight minutes to pitch a resiliency problem statement for which the entire group should focus on finding immediate, short term solutions.
All participants in the Challenge will discuss the presentations and identify one critical action item the entire group should commit to achieving to have greatest impact on the critical problem.
II. Defining the Critical Solutions
Roundtable Discussion Leaders will lead attendees at each table through an exercise to identify a critical short-term solution set and then pitch to the general audience for a vote.
THE CHALLENGE AGENDA
2:00PM – 2:10PM – CO-HOST WELCOME REMARKS
• Monica La Bennett, Vice-President, Operations, Caribbean Development Bank (CDB)
2:10PM – 2:20PM – CHALLENGE INTRODUCTION & SET-UP
• H.G. Chissell, Managing Director, Advanced Energy Agency | CEO, Advanced Energy Group (FACILITATOR)
DEFINING THE CHALLENGE
2:20PM – 3:00PM – PANELIST CHALLENGE PRESENTATIONS
• Cletus Bertin, Executive Director, Caribbean Electric Utility Services Corporation (CARILEC)
• Ricardo Case, Director of Engineering, Jamaica Public Service Co. (JPS), Jamaica
• David Gumbs, CEO, Anguilla Electricity Company (ANGLEC), Anguilla
• Fernando Padilla, Director of the Office of Special Projects, PREPA, Puerto Rico
3:00PM – 3:20PM – GENERAL AUDIENCE DISCUSSION & VOTE ON CRITICAL PROBLEM
FRAMING THE SOLUTIONS
3:20PM – 3:25PM – INTRODUCTION TO THE ROUNDTABLE CHALLENGE PROCESS
• H.G. Chissell, Managing Director, Advanced Energy Agency | CEO, Advanced Energy Group
3:25PM – 3:35PM – WARM-UP PRESENTATION: CLIMATE-RESILIENT SOLAR PV
• Mark Popovic, Euroconsult Engineering & Technology Network, Consultant to the Caribbean Development Bank (CDB)
3:35PM – 4:45PM – ACTION CHALLENGE: ROUNDTABLE DISCUSSIONS
• Chris Burgess, Director of Projects, Island Energy Program, Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI)
• Ron Dizy, CEO, Advanced Energy Centre | MARS, Canada
• Chris Evanich, Manager of Microgrids, S&C ELECTRIC COMPANY
• Todd Thurlow, Director, Distributed Energy Systems, Siemens Industry Inc.
• Noel Zamot, Revitalization Coordinator, The Financial Oversight & Management Board for Puerto Rico
4:45PM – 5:20PM ROUNDTABLE PRESENTATIONS & VOTE
5:20PM – 5:45PM CLOSING GENERAL DISCUSSION & CONCLUSION
View all Island Resiliency Action Challenge speakers here.
The Resiliency Challenge is an optional, additional registration item. It is complimentary for all senior Caribbean government and utility executives who should contact us to receive a code to apply to the online registration for 2018. For all other attendees, the incremental fee to attend the Resiliency Challenge in 2018 is $475. You will be provided with the option to register for the Resiliency Challenge when you register for CREF.