KPMG’s Global Healthcare Practice
Chairman and Partner
■ Mark joined KPMG in October 2009 as Head of Health for the UK & Europe following 20 years of distinguished international health service experience across a broad range of leadership positions.
■ Mark was subsequently appointed KPMG’s Global Head of Health. He has produced influential research on issues such as eHealth, personalization and quality maximization. In 2015 he published his first book In Search of the Perfect Health System, comparing insights on the sixty countries he has worked in since starting this post. Mark has driven the growth and
development of KPMG’s health practices around the world, giving KPMG a truly global insight into what works in healthcare.
Professional and Industry Experience
■ With more than 20 years of international health sector experience in a broad range of leadership positions, Mark has dedicated his entire professional life to health.
■ Over the past 5 years, Mark has worked in over 60 countries with hundreds of organizations (public, private and not-for-profit) and engaged with Ministers, clinicians, executives and officials.
■ He was one of the youngest ever NHS Chief Executives, leading the University Hospital Birmingham NHS FT to be amongst the highest performing in the UK and overseeing the largest single new hospital build in the history of the NHS. Mark latterly helped to develop the NHS Plan – a 10-year plan for investment and reform – and went on to become Director-General at the Department of Health and a member of the NHS Management Board. He led policy development on primary care reform,
GP access, public and patient engagement, and integrated care and community services.
■ Mark regularly speaks at international healthcare conferences, contributes to think-tanks and writes for publications including The Times, The Health Service Journal and The British Medical Journal. Mark has a BA from Warwick University, is a Senior Associate of The Kings Fund and a Senior Fellow in Health Service Management at Birmingham University. He is active in the charitable and voluntary sectors.
Representative Health Industry Experience
■ Mark has developed operational, strategic and policy expertise at every level of the NHS and UK Department of Health and sat on the NHS Management Board. Through his career Mark has:
– Led radical service and estate strategies (which produced the first ever ambulatory care and diagnostic centre)
– Led a clinically high performing 3 star NHS trust and developed innovative strategies with clinical leadership
– Helped develop national Foundation Trust policy and secured first wave status for University Hospital Birmingham
– Signed the second largest PFI hospital in the UK, taking process from outline business case to contract signature
– Achieved substantial financial turnaround within NHS South Central and secured financial balance
– Developed world class commissioning, system management and the creation of the Competition and Co-operation Panel
– Led policy on primary care reform, public and patient engagement, integrated care and community services
– Developed DH innovation policy and sizeable innovation funds as part of Lord Darzi’s ‘Next Stage Review’